Monday, January 10, 2011

tea party table

I bought a couple of lack side tables from IKEA many years ago now. They have been well used over the years, and it had come to the point where I had debated getting rid of the tables all together, BUT, I have problems getting rid of stuff (I'm going to work on de-cluttering this year!) Ever since I discovered the fabulousness of Mod Podge this year, I'm always try to find projects where I can use it. I decided that Claire needed a table so that she could host a tea party. I went through my papers, and picked out my favorite ones to use on this table. I measured the table and then cut all of my papers into squares to make a patchwork table.
Once I had all of the paper squares cut I played around with the papers, trying to find a design that worked for me. I wanted to make the table less pattern-y and more random- but turns out I can't do random. 

Now I thought (notice the past tense) that it would be easier to tape all of the squares together and then Mod Podge them onto my table. IT WASN'T. This was my first time using Mod Podge on such a large scale, and I basically know everything that I shouldn't do next time! I was so focused on having all of the squares line up perfectly (even though in the end they still didn't) that I thought it would have been easier to tape them together, that way I wouldn't be rushing to get them on before the Mod Podge dried. Oh boy, I was in a kerfuffle last night. I had coated my table in Mod Podge and I placed the squares that were all taped together on the table, but they weren't straight, I couldn't seem to get them just right. So, panicked, I took the whole giant sheet of squares off and then had my husband help me put it on again. I let it dry overnight, and put books on the table so that no air bubbles developed. The next morning I added a top coat of Mod Podge to the table. I think that it needs a few more before Claire & Simon really start to use it though.

 Claire didn't want teddy to attend the tea party, hence the empty chair. Here she was pouring a cup of tea for Simon.
 I hope that she has many happy tea parties using this table.

Linking up with Somewhat Simple & Craft-O-Maniac, & DIY Show Off  &

18 comments:

  1. :-) Very cute! Did you know that January is National Hot Tea Month? I laughed when you said "it turns out I can't do random". Me either, I try to change it up, but I always go back to being "symmetrical"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute!!! What a great way to update something that was going to go in the trash. I'm working on decluttering too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cute! My daughter has a table already, and what a great idea if I want to decorate it. :)
    Following you now.
    Love meeting new crafty people!
    Cheers!
    Jen
    http://cariboobutterflycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the follow back! When we got this house it was a prerequisite I would have my own space, because of how it is for you. My hubby got tired of my stuff being all over the table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! So creative and I'm sure time consuming. Featuring it tomorrow on Whimsical Wednesday! http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is darling. I am just starting to experiment with ModPodge myself. Your table is so sweet! (and so are your wee ones...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!! I plan on bookmarking this to use when my IKEA tables need fixing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I too have a bunch of IKEA lack tables sitting around and this is a great idea. I already thought of turning one into a lego table for Cam, but Kirsten would just adore a tea party table too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This project is so dang cute - and look at those two cuties at the table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a glass top table that I need to cover with something. Can you use Mod Podge on glass and have it stick?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This table is awesome. What a great idea, I still have the little table my kids played at and it has permanent marker all over the top, ugh! But I could do this to it and bring it out of storage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this on facebook via Mod Podge Rocks! I love the pattern in which you chose to place the papers as well as the color and paper design. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute...I did this same project a while back and I think I went through the same thing. Yours turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO CUTE!!! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!
    www.shadytreediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing these with me they are adorable and will be very cute to make with my grandchildren ,,we will have fun and what memories they will make doing them.thank you again for sharing and you have a blessed Christmas I would enjoy more ideals if you have more I just adore these how fun.Merry Christmas to you and yours,.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing these with me they are adorable and will be very cute to make with my grandchildren ,,we will have fun and what memories they will make doing them.thank you again for sharing and you have a blessed Christmas I would enjoy more ideals if you have more I just adore these how fun.Merry Christmas to you and yours,.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...